The project that we have been most focused on has been the chickens. I figured that since we couldn't really do a garden at this time, chickens was something very do-able for right now and since it takes a while for them to actually be able to start laying eggs, the sooner we get started on these creatures, the better.
Here is the just finished outside of the coop/run. The shed part was already there so we cleaned it out, made some repairs and then fenced it in. We still have a little bit of work on it, but you get the idea.
Now just because we don't have a garden, that doesn't mean that we haven't been trying out our hand at growing stuff. Here we have our potato cage. It's an idea I adapted from an idea off of pinterest. The idea here is that you have a cage you plant the potatoes in and you keep filling it up with dirt as the plants grow. After a certain amount of time you will have a whole bunch of potatoes. We need to pile up some more dirt on our potato plants, but so far this project is working out nicely. The potatoes seem to be flourishing and we are excited for harvest time so we can see what we actually got.
HERE --chicken wheat grass (I don't know if I'll do this very much longer though because I just learned that wheat can heat chickens up which is not what we want during the summer months).